Monday, October 5, 2009

THE FINE ART OF REDISCOVERY.....

Man has discovered many a place and invented many a thing since times immemorial. But has he mastered the art of rediscovering or reinventing himself too ? Have you mastered this art ? We all need to rediscover or reinvent our lives every now and then to make it more worthwhile and meaningful. And also at times to make it more spicier to get out of the rut we all fall in :). This is particularly essential for all guys and gals hitting midlife and the accompanying 'famous' crisis in many a case. Do you ever find that life has become so hectic and monotonous that if you look back at it and wonder 'just how did I manage to get through it till now ?' Well, this is the feeling I have quite often. I totally agree with what the famous authoress, Jane Austen once said : "Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings". So each of us need to get out of this humdrum existence. I feel that we need to have that child-like attitude to find joy in the simplest of pleasures life offers us on a regular basis, thereby killing the ennui felt in everyday life. So every year as I age, I try to introspect (on my birthday) on the year gone by and how to rediscover my life yet again in the year coming by. Something like a new 'Bucket List' (i.e. a list of things one must do before kicking the bucket i.e. bidding the final goodbye) every year. This keeps me involved for the rest of the year. It becomes a cycle of sorts each year. Try it and you will never regret. I'm sure it will lead you out of your vacuum to a feeling of immense ecstasy and euphoria.

THE 'TOP TEN DISCOVERIES' THAT REDISCOVERED MY LIFE

1. I first learned the art of rediscovery way back in 2004, maybe a little late in life. But it's OK. I'm doing fine after that. Thanks to my US trip five years back and quite a few nasty food habits accompanied with a sedantary lifestyle bereft of any physical activity resulting in obesity and some lifestyle diseases. I was quite down and out but still never crumbled. I resolved to hit back at life with vengeance and I'm proud I could achieve my goal. I have already mentioned in one of my earliest posts why and how I became a fitness freak, so I needn't repeat that again. But what I want to stress is that I rediscovered the 'zing' I was missing in my life after I became fit. I still regret how I let my 20's and to a large extent my 30's pass by without batting an eyelid but now realise that the grass is truly greener on the other side. I am glad that my regular calisthenics have added more meaning to my life. I truly look forward to flaunt my fit self, be it an official meeting or a party.
2. In the late thirties, I finally discovered that I indeed had the stamina to run long distances.
3. I discovered what it is to be a vegetarian after being a hard core carnivore for almost four decades. It certainly is easy on the tummy if you exclude the deep fried stuff, I must admit. However, this discovery truly tested my will power and pushed the envelope for me.
4. I also discovered how pleasurable and blissful it is to cook breakfast for the entire family every Sunday. My little girl gets so excited about it that she also ends up helping papa in the kitchen and I love that bonding.
5. I was amazed to discover my fascination and love for gadgets and history of the World War II era (yes the 1930's and the 40's) with equal ease, that too coming from an accounting background. I try to take out time to read and watch more about both these love affairs.
6. I discovered the Apple Mac notebook after being loyal to Microsoft windows and resisting change for 17 years. But I must say that this discovery was truly awesome as Windows sucks compared to Mac OS. Thank God for no virus attacks anymore.
7. It was awesome to discover that there is no harm in partying 'stag' once in a while to recharge your batteries.
8. Being a movie buff, I discovered the classic hollywood movies (a list of 101 to watch before you die) which I had missed seeing in the several years gone by though many are still left to be seen out of this list. However, I'm at it.
9. I have lately discovered how gratifying and delighful it is to put a smile on the face of a physically or a financially deprived person.
10. And finally I have discovered my writing skills (still nascent though) with this blog.

All the above discoveries made me rediscover my life in a brand new fashion. I hope you too can keep discovering and reinventing your lives in an interesting manner consistently and more so once you enter your mid-life. Particularly, please care to find joy in the simplest pleasures of life. Try taking an early morning walk in the park with your loved ones amidst mother nature or go on a picnic with them and you will understand what I mean. 'Why are we just busy collecting wealth more than what is required to lead a decent life ?...Love life and live it right'. Let's try to prove the old saying about 'man being a greedy animal' wrong and take the same delight while sharing and giving as we get in receiving. I'm writing this as another year passes by and it's time to start all over again to rediscover....reinvent....and make my life more zingy by making a fresh bucket list of all those things which arouse passion in me :)). I'm sure the festive season ahead will provide us all with such wonderful opportunities. Happy Diwali to you all.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on this. We all need to take a step back from our robot life style and reflect on our imperfections or shortcomings and how we can become a better individual. And, like you said we need to rediscover our passion and do things that brings us inner happiness. I have recently started making scrapbooks, and I love it. I don't know if you got a chance to look at the scrapbook I made for Disha while they were here. An art I have just discovered in me and I truly enjoy doing it...we will talk more offline.